JOHN MEANEY

25.7.10

SHERLOCK WHO?

So, a strange day today. Writing work consisted entirely of staring into space and hallucinating what happens next. It's rare for me to do that and not actually write words, but I know I can trust myself only to pause when it's right. (Sometimes I have to put a book aside for a few weeks before returning - that's happened on two, maybe three books. I only trust these feelings because they come so rarely.) It's Sunday, of course, but why would I take a day off entirely?

I've a read a bunch of books over the last couple of weeks - a lit'ry piece, a horror-thriller hybrid, a thriller, and one of Christopher Moore's insane, funny offerings: Island of the Sequined Love Nun. But the real prizes were this week. First, Al Reynolds' Terminal World, which is most excellently vivid, with gritty, bizarre and noir elements, a very unlikely love story, and a quest across a world that's not only weird, it's a genuine puzzle. Secondly, Barbara Kingsolver's The Lacuna, which I read to the midpoint this evening, and put down so I don't finish it too fast. Sumptuous writing, a delicious, spicy, hearty mix of words to create a story-feast.

And then Yvonne switched on the TV just as Sherlock was starting. Sherlock Holmes in a slick contemporary setting, written by Steve Moffat, and using a new television technique to illustrate his thought processes. Played as the sociopath the character always was, and, er, just like Dr Who...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Adrian Leaf said...

Not really a comment on your post but a question regarding any reprints of your novels. I was wanting to pick up the Nulapeiron Sequence but found that Paradox was impossible to buy new, as was To Hold Infinity. Do you know if there are any plans in the near future to re-print these in paperback?

July 26, 2010 at 3:40 PM  
Blogger John Meaney said...

Sorry... There are no such plans at the moment! I've had occasional discussions with my agent regarding the first four novels - or rather, we've mentioned it in passing - and we might try to get something moving in the future. But it won't be soon.

Glad you're interested enough to want to hunt them down! Of course there are not-so-new copies out there.

All best,
John

July 26, 2010 at 6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home