JOHN MEANEY

8.4.13

HAZARD WARNING

I've amended Resonance in the light of insightful editorial comments, and sent it back. Having worked through Christmas to hand it in originally, then spent several full-on weeks in the software engineering world, mainly academic, then back to the revisions over Easter... I got to "relax" over the past weekend.

Although that's not a word usually associated with the legendary Dave Hazard, except when he "relaxes" opponents, which he does explosively...



He visits Wales once a year, and it's the highlight of many people's training. Most of the Welsh shotokan groups were represented this time, along with kyokushin fighters, with a couple of legends among the trainees, never mind Sensei Hazard.

And how many people have such a suitable name? He appeared in fictional guise, with his first name changed to Max, in a couple of fantasy novels by Richard LaPlante.

Which reminds me that, although I've referred to Russian military combatives, rokupashniboi, in Resonance, my original concept of Pilots' unarmed combat, at least as shown in Paradox, comes from Dave's fast-flowing and vicious approach to shotokan.

So it's an easy day for me today, recovering from my relaxation. And then to address the question on my mind...

Whatever shall I write next?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Robert G. said...

Ooh ooh, may I offer a suggestion!?

White Bones!!

I'm quite sure that by now poor Donal's battery is running low and he's resting in stand-by mode inside that dank little box.

;]

On a related note, I've always felt the Tristopolis tales would be amazing in graphic novel format, or even as a miniseries on the telly.

May 14, 2013 at 5:22 AM  
Blogger John Meaney said...

Suggestion noted, Robert!

I feel for Donal, but my publishers aren't exactly begging for a sequel. (Actually, an editor who's not my editor, and another ex-employee, really do want me to write White Bones, just so they can read it - thanks for remembering the title, by the way!)

I will let you know if I start writing it for real...

I've been lazy in looking for a graphic novel adaptation, along with my agent. Perhaps I'll take a proper look, and contact the person with inside knowledge who said I should do that.

Two movie producers, well-known companies, showed initial interest and then bowed out, saying they weren't sure how to make it. I think that's code for: "We're not willing to risk enough money to make a decent job of the special effects."

A touch of the True Blood phenomenon would be very welcome. But then Barry Eisler's excellent novel Rain Fall (now republished as A Clean Kill In Tokyo) was turned into a dire movie. But done right, it would be nice...

May 14, 2013 at 11:30 AM  
Blogger Crash said...

I would second a vote to continue the bone song series, one of my favorites. It has just the right touch of creepy and action. Too bad on the movie deals, but it would not be something that could be skimped on budget wise, or you would have sifi channel made for tv crap on your hands.

May 22, 2013 at 1:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home