JOHN MEANEY

17.1.10

THAWING OUT

So moving to Wales involved long-to-be-remembered sagas of driving through Arctic conditions with two noisy cats singing their disapproval all the way (and a 4 a.m. arrival in the valley), the heroic furniture removal guys battling through blizzards, and the slow unpacking of boxes. For weeks, the house resembled the warehouse at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

The cats, Nutmeg (aka Captain Bonkers) and Bonbon (aka Princess Bonbon, the most beautiful girl in the universe) have taken to the new house far better than hoped, with the exception of the Paddyzone, the part of the house they may not enter. There dwells the ferocious three-legged cat known as the Paddymonster, who was in the house before they got there, and intends to rend the intruders, given the tiniest chance.


This weekend, we had our first visitors come to stay -- our pals Chris & Penny Hill -- and we all hiked up the valley (Chris showing his mettle in an uphill sprint) and into the forestry land across the peaks. There's this substance called fresh air that's missing from city life -- I knew there were good reasons for moving here. All was fine for the visitors; then the rains came down as Chris and Penny drove away.

We're not entirely settled yet, but getting there. Lotsa family here, which is great.

Hope you have a great 2010, everyone!

4 Comments:

Blogger keena said...

will you be writing any more Tristopolis books? they are fantastic! i have just discovered you other books as well, and i am for the first time in a long time actually wanting to BUY books instead of going to the library. which i still do, but i really want to own your books. i am reading bone song and black blood again.

February 10, 2010 at 5:49 PM  
Blogger John Meaney said...

Thanks, Keena. I'm glad you like them well enough to read again! That's a terrific compliment.

Sorry, but I've no plans for more Tristopolis books... The publishers weren't interested when I pitched an outline of a 3rd book (title: White Bones). There's a short story set in Tristopolis - details on the short story page on the website. Maybe I can write some more stories there... but I'm writing the current novels to tight deadlines. No promises on more Tristopolis stuff, but I like the place and I'd like to go back!

February 11, 2010 at 12:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'd like to second the desire for more Tristopolis books!

The Nulaperion sequence has been one of my favorites ever since I got the hardback of paradox when it first came out. I admit to a degree of trepidation around the thought of a new world from a favorite author (a common reaction I think) but was delighted to discover that Tristopolis was just as engrossing as a world.

I was delighted when I discovered a third Tristopolis book on amazon some years back. Then came the rather unfortunate discovery that Dark Blood and Black Blood were the same book! Accidentally buying a second copy of a book I own is always annoying, but in this case the main reaction was disappointment that I'd have to wait longer for the next installment. I hope for a more successful reprise of this shopping attempt in the future.

February 17, 2012 at 12:24 AM  
Blogger John Meaney said...

Ta lots! I do like Tristopolis, and it would be nice to return.

And thank you so much for not blaming me for Black Blood/Dark Blood being the same book under two different names! It's not a great way to encourage people to buy my other books...

Actually, Black Blood was my original working title, then it got changed for UK publication, but the US publishers (a year later) preferred the original.

Sounds like you've experienced the same thing with other books... me too! And it is annoying when it happens.

I've written in two other worlds since Tristopolis - the near future Britain of the books I wrote as Thomas Blackthorne, and the multiple timelines of the Ragnarok space opera books. I wonder if I am actually capable of returning to Tristopolis with the correct feeling? (I know, there's only one what to find out...)

February 17, 2012 at 6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home