JOHN MEANEY

21.5.11

RUNNING OUT OF TIME

I'm most of the way through Charlie Stross's most excellent new book, Rule 34. It's not actually published, yet. Charlie showed me his, and I showed him mine, as it were - he's got Transmission, I've got Rule 34, and it's absolutely terrific.

Only problem is, apparently the Rapture is due to occur today.

Oh, wait... I've checked the official website again (and no, I'm not linking to it). So long as I get left behind, everything's fine. The world will continue to exist until sometime in October. Phew. I can get a whole bunch of reading done by then.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any anecdotes behind names like Slasher Stross in "Edge"?

May 29, 2011 at 2:48 AM  
Blogger John Meaney said...

Er... Walking round Edinburgh once with Charlie, I felt totally safe knowing that any cutthroats lurking in the dark, ancient alleys would be no match for Slasher at my shoulder...

I did once construct impromptu nunchuks at a convention (out of a shoelace and stuff), after which Jon Courtenay Grimwood and I competed to see who could wield it best. JCG won hands down. Should've put him in Edge.

There's a Dr Meaney in one of Charlie's books, along with a Corporal Meaney in one of Peter Hamilton's. The corporal dies horribly. But it's all just coincidence...

May 31, 2011 at 6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home