JOHN MEANEY

26.9.09

PARTY, PARTY!

It's just one social whirl, the writing life. Every autumn I go to the Gollancz party, whether I've recovered from the previous year or not!

So this one, on Thursday, was terrific. Of the lovely writers, I got to hang out with Peter Hamilton, Steve Baxter, Joe Abercrombie, Suzanne McLeod, Alex Bell, and the wonderful Jainne Fenn.

Catching up with my friends, I got to talk about the other big thing in my life. (By other, I mean other than meeting all my deadlines. Yikes. I'm three-quarters of the way through the 2nd draft of EDGE, and I have to hand it in next Thursday. Time to start taking the coffee intravenously.)

Now, all you Brit fans will remember Bob Shaw and his incomparable Serious Scientific Talks. At one con, not in an SST, he said that it was curious how fictional characters can swoop around the galaxy saving civilizations, while in real life, moving house is a major trauma. And he's right, because we're starting that process rolling.

As a globetrotting IT consultant, there have been periods of time when I've lived out of a suitcase; but it's been the same home to go back to for decades. And now we're thinking of moving to the Welsh wilderness! (I checked: there's a Starbucks ten miles away.)

In one of Adam Hall's marvellous Quiller novels, he likens speaking Polish to gargling with razor blades. Ha! Obviously Quiller, intelligence operative extraordinaire, never executed a deep penetration op in Wales.

Actually, I can pronounce diolch yn fawr correctly. That's also about fifty percent of my vocabulary right there.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Josh W said...

Don't forget os gwelwch yn dda (please/if you see it as good) and ar y cyfrifiadur (on the computer).

Ooh, Ga i (may I) might be quite handy too.

On the subject of language learning, I thought this might be right up your street, you should observe some familiar patterns underneath their definitions:

http://whereareyourkeys.wordpress.com/

October 30, 2009 at 12:39 PM  
Blogger John Meaney said...

Diolch, Josh!

This is really interesting... I'll be investigating in detail. And I'll post more when I have.

Cheers...

November 4, 2009 at 12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home